A time capsule from 1954, placed in the cornerstone of what was then known as Science Hall, was opened during a ceremony on campus, May 5, 2014. Alumnus Charles Tharp discovered the forgotten time capsule, and returned it to campus for its opening. Tharp enlisted the assistance of his friend and former professor, Dr. Max Bell, to assist in the ceremony. President Emeritus Jack Magruder, along with current President Troy Paino and John Broyles, grand master of the Grand Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Missouri, were also in attendance at the event.
Construction crews remove the cupola from Kirk Memorial August 8, 2013. The cupola had to be replaced because it could not be made water tight and some of the wood had rotted. The new cupola, which was created to look like the original, is constructed primarily of aluminum, and includes insulation and roofing material to protect the dome structure. The cupola has been a symbol of Truman for years, and in 1996 its weather vane was welded in place to forever point northeast in honor of the University’s previous name. In keeping with that tradition, the new weather vane on the new cupola, installed Aug. 15, was also welded in place to point northeast.
Some scenes from a windy but beautiful day.